Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Sucky Day

Okay, today officially sucked.

My knee started acting up yesterday morning. Long story, basically I fall into a catagory of something like "Hypermobility." This basically means that my ligiments and tendons are really... loose. It's caused carpel tunnel in my wrists, and makes it where my kneecaps "float" around and start getting inflamed. This however was worse then just an inflamed kneecap. One moment it was fine.. The next I could barely put any weight on it. So, I limped around the rest of the day. This morning? Still couldn't put much weight on it. So, I wrap one of the knee braces I have around it and set out to goto school. On the way to my car I feel a nail start to pierce the bottom of my right shoe.. Problem, the nail in a board, that has another nail sticking up farther down, this eliminates any sort of throwing myself into a roll to avoid puncturing my foot. I also cannot put enough weight onto my left leg to shift my balance quick enough. So.. YOUCH.. The nail punctured my shoe, and went into the bottom of my right foot. So, I go back inside (making myself late for class) and take off my boot and sock and clean the wound and put a band-aid on it so that I can at least just get to class. So now I'm really limping.. puncture wound in one foot, some sort of weakness in the knee of the other leg..

So, that was pretty crappy... Then it almost got worse.. I'm in my Organic Chem II lab.. I've got this conconction sitting on a hot plate cooking away. On the hot plate I have a 5mL vial and that's hooked up to a "refluxer" The refluxer has two ports that you attach a water-in line and a water-out line to. Cold water is circulated through the refluxer allowing a solution to be heated to above it's boiling point without loss of solution. (The cooler refluxing tower causes the vapor to recondense and flow back into the vial). Pretty cool stuff.. So I've been watching this thing cook for about 35 minutes or so.. And my phone rings.. It's my dad so I pick it up and walk out into the hall. This mixture is supposed to cook for another 25 minutes or so and the temp is really stable so "no worries." I wasn't in the hall for more then 45 seconds when someone in the lab yells "JOHN your experiment blew up!!!" I hung up with my dad and raced into the lab to see what'd happened.. Thankfully, my lab hadn't blow up.. Instead the water in hose had decided that it didn't want to put the water into the refluxer anymore, and instead wanted to allow it to dribble (at a high rate of flow) all over the electric hot-plate, top of the vial with my solution, etc.. So, got that cleaned up and was able to get a different hose and continute the process. It would have really sucked to have had to start over on the experiment.... Especially since I finished the lab with 25 minutes to spare. (get it? I wouldn't have had enough time to actually FINISH the lab if I'd had to start over)

Okay... I've got an Organic Chem II test at 9AM.. so I've GOT to get back to studying for it.

Lata

Seabhag

No comments: